Monday, April 21, 2003

With all due respect for those of you who support the war...
As someone who is into bluegrass music because it is old, and because it draws from old aspects of our country, and I'm talking about songs my damn granpa
knew when he came here from when he was a little kid
(and he was 80 something when he died in the 1980s),
and a someone whose favorite class in high school and
elementary school was history, this stuff about the
museums and libraries in Iraq being burned and looted
is totally and utterly heartbreaking to me.
You know, I have a collection of lps, probably nowhere
near as good as the lps some of you older folks have,
and they are my prized possessions, especially the old
10" 78s I can't play. compare this to books 1,000s of
years old.
And I live in Philadelphia, where access to
Independence hall the birthplace of our nation is
restricted by federal troops, right across the river
from the RCA factory where the carters and Jimmy
rodgers first recorded, and the fact that the building
is falling apart and may only be saved if it's turned
into high rent condominiums... well that makes me feel
sick. that should be a damn historic monument.
And when I read that museums holding the oldest
artifacts of western civilization have been looted and
destroyed while our troops stood by (and this is a
documented fact, as Jeremy has amply demonstrated) I d
not know what to think. I do not know what to think,
because I love bluegrass because I love history and
the oldest chronicles of our culture (how many of you
know that english has its roots in the Indoeuropean
tongue originally spoken in the fertile crescent, ie
modern day iraq) may have been forever lost and that
to me is as heartbreaking as if all record of bill
monroe were stricken from the world.
that's just what I'm thinking rightnow. ymmv. sorry
to be a wet blanket and divisive.