Friday, August 01, 2003

On Taking Responsibility



A couple of days ago, Mr. "Bush accepted personal responsibility yesterday for telling the country in January that Iraq was seeking nuclear weapons fuel from Africa despite doubts about the allegations within the U.S. intelligence community."

OK. Now what?
When I was a kid, my old man would react very differently to different types of misbehavior.
If I got caught screwing up in a way that didn't really damage anything, "I'm sorry" would be enough. As in "I'm sorry I was eating fromt he cookie jar without asking," to which my father would respond, "are you really sorry, or are you sorry you got caught?" Whatever the answer, there wasn't much punishment.
But then there were other crimes that would merit stronger punishment. This would be after I'd beaten up my sister, or lied to get out of trouble with a report card or a teacher: the kind of misbehavior that is actually pathological. After one of these types of incidents, saying "I'm sorry" would lead to the response, "Brendan, sometimes saying 'sorry' isn't good enough. You have to show that you're sorry. You have to make up for what you did and repair the damage."

I think with regard to lying the country into a war, my father would choose the latter. Mr. Bush says he takes responsibility. This is all well and good, but what are the consequences? How will Mr. Bush make up for what he did? How will he repair the damage, to Iraq, to our country, and to our international standing?
Taking responsibility is only the first step. Saying "I'm sorry" (which Mr. Bush has not done) is not enough.