Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Update on Tamara Saviano: Kirt wrote back!

From: "Kirt Webster" | This is Spam | Add to Address Book
To: "Brendan Skwire"
Subject: Re: Charlie Daniels and Free Speech
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:20:20 -0600


I invite you to read the "Tennessean" newspaper today. It clearly explains the chain of events that transpired and in NO way, shape, or form did I or Mr. Daniels have anything to do with Tamara Saviano losing her job.

It now appears that Ms. Saviano thought her boycott email was to be perceived as a "tongue-an-cheek" joke. Much different from the
previous statements.

So please read the Tennessean and get all the details.
Kirt Webster
Webster & Associates Public Relations
(a division of Webster Companies, Inc.)
PO Box 23015
Nashville, TN 37202
615/777-6995 office
615/369-2515 fax
www.websterpr.com
So I read the article, drew my own conclusions, and wrote back:

Dear Mr. Webster,

After reading your letter, visiting the Tennessean, reading a forwarded article in Twangzine about Ms. Saviano's firing, and re-reading the email forwarded to me, I have come to what I think is an informed conclusion about the incident.

I do agree with one of your theses: Mr. Daniels had nothing to do with her firing. I DO believe that you did however. Given that Mr.
Daniels is a client of yours, and given the firey nature of Ms. Saviano's initial email to Mr. Daniels (in which she referred to his open letter as "bulls--t propaganda) I find it a more than a bit disingenuous that you say "I didn't call to complain, and I didn't call to get her fired." As my mother is wont to say, "I wasn't born yesterday."

Of course you called to complain. I'd be angry too if someone called one of my clients names and tried to start a boycott: that's money out of your pocket! What you forget here, Mr. Webster, is that Ms. Saviano's email was sent via her home address at aol, and had nothing to do with her job. Furthermore, Mr. Daniels explicitly invited a response. Ms. Saviano was well within her rights, and your response was over-the-top and wrongheaded.

Please have a little respect for my intellect: I'm not a stupid person. Would that you were as wise as Daniel Webster whose last name you share. Charlie Daniels has a right to his opinion, as ignorant as it may be (I say ignorant because by participating in these marches myself, I have met many many veterans who are adamant this war on Iraq is wrong: you may visit them here. Ms. Saviano has every right to her opinion too. Mr. Daniels, in his OPEN LETTER invited comment. That is why we call this place "America" and not the "Soviet Union" or "Singapore" or "Communist China." And while I realize some people don't believe in the Bill of Rights anymore, I most certainly do, and I will continue to exercise them.
You should be ashamed of yourself for trampling on the free speech rights of this woman. What would your mother think? For that matter, what would your Scoutmaster think (presuming you were, as I was, a Boy Scout)?
As for a boycott, I will continue to avoid buying Charlie's products, not so much because of his offensive and confrontational language, nor because of his obvious ignorance regarding war in Iraq, but rather, because his music sucks.
Yours,
Brendan Skwire