Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Hobbes Choice

I just wanted you all to know that last Monday, Melissa got a competitive offer from McGill University in Montreal that was way better than what Penn was offering, including a coaching position, salary, free school, and a three-year contract. Yesterday, August 8 2005, she accepted that offer. She'll be the only female coach in the entire province, and since she wants to go into coaching or sports medicine this is an enormous fast-track for her career. This also means that she won't be moving down here with Sam.

Unfortunately, I spent most of the last year unemployed or working temporary jobs (gotta love that awesome Bush economy). After exploring Quebec's immigration policies, and doing the math regarding the mountain of debt that is sitting on my shoulders, there is no way that I can move up to Quebec for at least a year, and possibly longer. Residency takes 3-6 months for approval, and even then there is no
guarantee that I'll be able to find a job (it took me over a year to get the grantwriting position I have now).

Please, do not send me any "yes, but what if.." responses. I'm not in the mood. Melissa and I have gone over the numbers for a week now, and we know what
we're up against. We're already negotiating a visitation schedule so I
can see Sam as much as possible, but this is no substitute for full-time parenting.

Thanks everyone for your support over the past year or so. It's been very difficult for Melissa and me, and while I am ecstatic that she's scored such a sweet deal (I support her decision 100%), we are both crushed and heartbroken by the implications this decision entails.
Your friend,
Brendan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home