Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The rain's beating a steady tattoo on the tin roof outside my window. All morning long it's gone on, never letting up, never slowing down. It's warm and misty outside now and the streets are shiny and slick. The weatherman said snow was on the way yesterday, but it hasn't arrived yet. That's to be expected at this time of year; we never seem to get a real snowfall here in Philly until sometime in late December or January. I did little other than my laundry today, and went into work for two hours before realizing I wasn't even supposed to be there. I think I may have pissed off my new boss. I don't know. I hope not.

I have a first day at another resturant tomorrow at 9:00 Am. The guy who interviewed me said the job was 8-4, now it's 9-5. I want to keep both jobs. The 8-4 hours are better and have to stand. I hope I can work this out. Anyway, tomorrow will be 9:00-4:30, then 5:00 to 9:00 at Grace. It'll be a bear, but good money. Depending on how things work out, Thursday may be 8:00-4:00, then Grace 5-9:00 then Fiume. I'm going to try to get Thursday or Saturday evening off for practice, either by taking thursdays off from Grace, or working the day shift on Saturdays.

I am less than enthused about working for less than $10.00 per hour anywhere, although I am willing to tolerate it for a month or so from both places. I have been out of the kitchen for 5 years, and expect a lower-paid evaluation period. But not for more than a month or so.

The rain was just beginning to let up, a fog rising from the river as I opened the door to the tavern, pulled on my work togs, began slicing, dicing...

I'm looking forward to work tomorrow, even if it is just deli plates like the day chef says. There's a lot of presentation that goes into platters. Just gimme the money, and I'll do whatever you want with the food.