Monday, May 08, 2006

No Weekend Blogging

My housemate Nelson is a builder, so in exchange for free rent this month, we're building a deck out back. I didn't blog over the weekend (and barely checked my email) because I spent the weekend at Home Despot (among other hardware stores) and in the backyard.

On Saturday, we spent most of the mornign and early afternoon buying lumber and other supplies, and spent the afternoon tearing down old back steps and mounting the new ledger. Yesterday we built the entire frame, including the joists. In fact, in about 10 minutes, I'm heading out to finish attaching the jost hangers, after which I'm bound for the Home Despot (again) for 5 sacks of concrete, some inside-corner reinforcements, and more. Hopefully when Nelson arrives home today, everything will be in place to begin installing the decking itself.

I'm very excited about this project. The deck will add 120 square feet to the house, and will provide a great area for bluegrass pickin' and grilling. We're using lattice for the walls, and on the southwest and southeast corners I may use extra lattice for either privacy wall or for viny plants like tomatoes.

Photos of what's been accomplished so far will be posted later today. And yes, I'll be having an open house once the thing is complete. And after I clean, because I have to admit: my home is a disgrace right now. Every single room is a pigsty, from the living room to the kitchen to the bathroom.

I'm mortified that I let it go this long. Honest, I've never even been IN a frat house!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home