Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Every once in a while you see something that makes you pause and say "America just fucking rules."
No, it's not XFL football. No, it's not the indiscriminate slaughter of tens of thousands of civilians in a penny-ante Middle Eastern dictatorship that's swimming in oil. No, it's not the manly form of George W. Bush. Silly reader, all of these are cause for SHAME SHAME SHAME.
I was heading home from the South Philly Home Depot with a carload of things I needed for the house: compact flourescent bulbs (a three-pack is going for only $4.00, an amazing price. These 14 watt bulbs put out as much light as a 65 watt incandescent and last 6 times as long!!), a weed wacker, and cleaning supplies, when I thought to myself, Brendan, a steak would taste REALLY good right now. I hung a right and then another right, and found myself parking in front of Pat's Steaks, where i stood in line with everyone else and put inmy order for American wit' (to youse who don't live in Philly, that means a cheesesteak with American cheese with fried onions). Most of the people in line were the Italian American crowd you see in South Phluffya, lots of families and kids. As I was munching my steak, a minivan pulled up and out came a stereotypically short Asian guy and his very pregnant wife. Jabbering away at each other in some language I can't identify, it was pretty clear this couple was pretty new to the US. I watched as they stood in line, and clearly heard through heavily accented English, "One wit, Whiz, one wit', provie" (2 cheesesteaks with fried onions, one with Cheez-Whiz, the other with provolone). They got their steaks in a bag that began to leak steak grease, got in the car and pulled away. It made me think of what it must have been like for the Jews, Italians, Germans, Swedes, Finns, Poles, etc etc that have come to our country in the past seeking work, freedom, a better life, what have you. The way going to Coney Island or seeing a movie was a big thing for recent immigrants in the 20s.
I imagine this couple going home and sitting in front of the TV, watching an ethnic broadcast on cable or studying for their citizenship exams, chowing down greasy cheesesteaks from Pat's, and it reminds me that no matter how obscenely our representatives act, no matter how disgusting George W. Bush and his cabal of Nazis are, there is something truly wonderful about our country that brings more and more people here.
I just hope that we're able to save it from its government.