Friday, October 10, 2003

Dear Senator Specter,

On September 16, 1997, the following quote is attributed to you:

The fundamental purpose of appointing an independent counsel was to have someone in charge who was not allied with the administration, not beholden to the administration, and not motivated in any way to favor the administration.

You were speaking about an investigation into possible campaign finance shenanigans on the part of the Clinton administration. I would like to know why in 2003 you don’t believe an independent counsel is needed in the investigation into which Bush administration official outed CIA operative Valerie Plame, an act which has not only destroyed the career of an employee of the US government, but may have put our nation in even more danger.

Mr. Specter, I have written you three letters this week alone about naming an independent counsel, and I expect an answer. At the very least, I think your statements of 1997, when compared to your actions in 2003, expose you as a partisan hypocrite. I realize this is a difficult question to answer, but as I am a constituent and my tax dollars pay your salary, it is your obligation to respond to this issue. I await your speedy reply.