Sunday, January 18, 2004

Frank Wakefield (or Wake Frankfield, as he sometimes calls himself) posted to the bluegrass-l. Frank is the best mandolin player in the world. He can play rhythm, melody, and harmony all at the same time. He is practically unknown outside of bluegrass, and because he's a weirdo, he doesn't really get the respect he deserves.
I heart backwards talking:

Subject: CGOW Wake Frankfield question Q5:

The anecdotes is that the kids that you hear in the background were about two or three years old on that tape and they are older than me now. David borrowed a tape recorder from the Newport Folk Festival and came to my house. He set it up on my kitchen table. David was holding the microphone. He would ask me and Red to do a certain song and we just did it. We never played any of those tunes more than once. He just axed us and we did it. ha ha

I still really like the kitchen tapes and get an awful lot of requests to do the tunes on the kitchen tapes. A lot young kids tell me that Kitchen Tapes is their favorite record.

About my playing, I was really clean and clear then, but I feel I am even better today. Come see the band sometime.

I appreciate me asking you those questions.
I hope you don't buy any of the other CDs with tunes I wrote.
Thank me a lot!
Your enemy.

Hello
Frank Wakefield