Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Channel 48 WGTW was an oddball UHF station, based out of Burlington NJ, broadcasting reruns of "The A-Team" and other relics from the 1980s all day before selling out to infomercials after 10:00 or so. This all changed in October 2004, when the station was sold to the Trinity Broadcasting Network, a Christian station. I don't watch the station, but tonight I was flipping channels and caught "A Bluegrass Homecoming." Boy was that great, all bluegrass music, awesome stuff.
Then after the program came on, Chuck Norris and his Barbie-doll looking wife came on and told me that the Bible belongs in public school so God will guide our nation in the right direction.

"You may be asking, 'Is this legal?'", said Mrs. Norris. "Well the answer is yes. The Bible is being taught as literature and history in 35 states."
"Our country was founded on Christian principles. The Founding Fathers never meant for the Bible to be out of the classroom," said Chuck, adding "Heaven know we need the guidance."

Bah... never mind that Jefferson, Paine, Washington, Adams, and many others were Deists, who professed belief in God, but no belief in religion at all. Chuck, Mrs. Norris, and the rest of the slackjaws out there really need to read "Age of Reason," by Tom Paine.

I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life.

I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow-creatures happy.

But, lest it should be supposed that I believe in many other things in addition to these, I shall, the progress of this work, declare the things I do not believe, and my reasons for not believing them.

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Greek church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My mind is my own church.

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.

...

Whenever I read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half of the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent htat we call it the word of a demon, than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness, that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind: and, for my part, I sincerely detest it, as I detest everything that is cruel.


Yup, that's our Tommy. The guy who wrote "Common Sense."
Here's more.
So please, spare me the bullshit about the founding fathers. Thomas Paine would kick your ass Chuck, if not with a karate kick than with his tremendous brain.

On the other hand, thanks for the bluegrass gospel, TBN.