Friday, November 11, 2005

Veterans' Day

Here in Philly, we have parades for Thanksgiving, for New Years, and I think even for Easter.

We do not, to the best of my knowledge, have a citywide Veterans' Day Parade, although we do sell cars and furniture in their memory and honor. To me, that's shameful.

My grandfather immigrated here from Switzerland and went back to Europe to fight the Nazis in World War 2.

My Uncle Willy immigrated here from Germany just before the war broke out, and immediately enlisted. He drove a tank. For the first year he was paid less than the rest of his platoon, because "you're just a German." He had to complain to his CO to get what he deserved.

None of my family went to Korea or Vietnam.
My best friend Tim's dad went to Viet Nam.
My ex-girlfriend Melissa Watterworth's dad went to Korea.
In high school, I knew a guy named Ted: his cousin was a homeless vet. He'd lost his mind in Viet Nam, and would stand for hours pushing his hands on telephone poles as if he was trying to prevent them from falling.

So Happy Veterans' Day. Let's rage against those who put our soldiers in harms way for no good reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home