Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day

This year, I am a little... what's the word... ambivalent about Mother's Day, a holiday I ordinarily pay no attention to or as little as possible. A card for mom, a phone call to grandma. For the past 2 years I would call up Canada and talk to Melissa, but I don't think that's on the agenda this year. Or next year either.

This troubles me because I feel like I should set my anger aside and not be a petty, vindictive son of a bitch, but at the same time I feel that besides whatever else she may be doing to be a good mother to Sam, everything else has to be taken into consideration: primarily the fact that I don't have any relationship to speak of with my son who mostly knows me as "that voice over the phone every other day." So maybe I'm a little petty and vindictive today. In fact, may I go as far as to say "Fuck you and the fucking horse you rode in on. You've made my life fucking miserable and I will never ever forgive you for what you did, not in a million years, not ever."? Thanks. I knew I could.

As a matter of fact, Mother's Day is NOT your standard Hallmark Holiday. It was originally a protest against poor working conditions in the Appalachians, and later became related to the antiwar movement. The woman who established the holiday was furious when it was co-opted and regretted ever establishing the holiday.

Back to decking...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home